Don’t Get Scammed
ASPHALT PAVING ADVISORY
Be leery of traveling asphalt paving crews in the Baton Rouge area. During the winter months Baton Rouge typically sees an influx of traveling paving crews, due to the cold icy conditions in the northern states. Many of these companies are legitimate, however at the same time many are not. Hopefully with a little information, a little caution, and a little common sense we can help you avoid serious problems and scams.
These scams often begin with a crew member approaching a prospective customer claiming they have extra or leftover asphalt which they are willing to sell at a discounted price rather than loose. Once the customer agrees the scammer performs low quality work, using cheap materials, at an actually higher than average price. Once the work is complete, and in some cases before, the scammer will demand immediate cash or check payment. Once the check is written the scammer goes straight to the bank, never to be heard from again.
Warning Signs and Tips for Choosing the Right Contractor:
- Be leery of anyone:
- Demanding prepayment on work not yet completed.
- Wanting a “Cash Only” sale.
- Using out of state vehicles and trucks.
- Who has an out of state phone number or 1-800 number
- Who does not provide proof of insurance.
- Who is not willing to sign a contract.
- Who says they have “leftover asphalt.” A legitimate contractor can usually estimate a job to within a couple of tons, far less than the amount required to pave a driveway or even fill a large pothole.
- Who provides a standard unit price. Every job is different. Asphalt is an economy of scale – usually, larger the job the cheaper the cost is per square foot.
- Who goes door to door and pushes for a quick decision. Legitimate contractors will let you take your time and answer any and all questions you may have.
- Ask for references (local contractors, asphalt suppliers, and customers).
- Don’t agree on a handshake – Get it in writing and make sure each item of work is spelled out, including payment terms, asphalt thicknesses, and any guarantees or warranties offered.
- Go to www.lslbc.state.la.us to verify that they are licensed. (Any project over $50,000 must be performed by a licensed contractor).
- Get multiple quotes.
- If it sounds too good to be true be true it probably is!!!!
If you have any questions or need any additional information please feel free to call us at (225) 272-1005.
Copyright © 2020 Lamont Roe Werner Construction, All rights reserved.